Sunday, March 29, 2009

Tonight's Random Thoughts/Tidbits

After I told my mom that I would probably write a lot about sports in my blog, she said she hoped I'd do more than that, because I have such deep thoughts that I could write. I can see it now - "Deep Thoughts with Liz Strand" but for some reason, that "Deep Thoughts" title sounds familiar already. Hmmm.

I'm in the mood for shorter tidbit thoughts, so here goes:

  • I get how the 5-hour Energy drink/shot could be effective, as it does include the amount of caffeine that is in a premium coffee, which ranges from 100-200 mg, depending on where you get it. Apparently brewing at home is closer to 100 mg, while Starbucks is closer to 200 mg. What I don't get, however, is how the Decaf 5-hour Energy works. Caffeine doesn't always work for me. Sometimes it actually makes me more tired, among the other odd ways I react to it, so I thought I'd try the Decaf version (only 5 mg of caffeine), and it actually worked, making me feel more energized and lively for a few hours. My question is, was that 100% psychological, because I believed that it would work, or does the "Energy Blend" in it, plus a few other vitamins, actually make a difference?
  • Back to sports (sorry mom, but at least I had one non-sports thought there). The #4 seed Vanderbilt women's basketball team definitely gave #1 seed Maryland quite a scare today, before falling short at the end. It reminded me of the #3 seed Gonzaga men vs. the #2 seed UCLA team back in 2006 (picture Adam Morrison crying on the court and it will all come back to you). Vandy led by 18 in the 1st half; Zags led by 17. Vandy led by 9 with about 5 min left in the game; Zags led by 10 with about 5 min left in the game. Vandy only scored 3 points the rest of the game; Zags only scored 2 points the rest of the game. I have a friend who is a Vanderbilt fan, so I was pulling for them to win, plus I have a healthy "sports-related bitterness" feeling toward Maryland coach Brenda Frese, after she used the University of Minnesota women's team as a stepping stone/group of girls to walk all over on a very brief stop as the head coach of the Gophers. Bummer. Thankfully, the Vanderbilt loss won't enter my nightmares like the Gonzaga-UCLA loss did for many days after it happened. (I'd say those nightmares were still happening now, but that might lead some people to question my sanity, so I'm sticking by my story that they only lasted a few days).
  • I admit that I did not participate in Earth Hour tonight, as I was watching the Hopkins-Osseo Boy's Basketball MN State tournament game between 8:30 and 9:30, although I didn't actually have a light on, as I always watch TV in the dark in my basement. I was a bit curious though, since my sister is in Las Vegas celebrating her 30th Birthday right now - exactly how would Vegas go about turning off the lights for an hour? That would be bad for tourism, but could really up the overtime hours for those crime lab stars on CSI:!
  • I'm wondering if it is possible to have an addiction to something that technically has no addictive qualities. In honor of Sarah's 30th birthday, while she is celebrating in Vegas, I ordered a Cookies by Design frosted pan cookie for me to share with the parents (I did order her a cookie package that she got in Vegas too). I cannot resist it. Its a large pizza size chocolate chip cookie with a lot of frosting on it. I have to continually fight the urge to eat it. I also love chocolate, but as people may recall from back in the day when I had the candy jar on my desk (and had the extra candy locked up to protect it from Newman & other candyaholics who would stoop to theft in order to get their fix), I had no problem ignoring that and not eating it...although the same cannot be said for some people who walked past my desk a lot! So why do the frosting covered cookies have a pull on me that I feel I am powerless to resist?

On that note, I'm going to let my tired little brain get some much needed rest, and hope it has some energy tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment