Wednesday, April 8, 2009

My Top Priorities While I Have no Income

Like many others around me, I am currently unemployed. Mine is a result of post-concussion syndrome/Mild traumatic brain injury issues, not the economy (as my job is still being held and performed well by the person who replaced me!), but regardless, I am in that position that many are familiar with right now. I decided to think about what my top priorities are for the $ I do have. Thank heavens for that 201k...I mean 401k, that I could siphon some $ from now!

The obvious things are paying for health insurance, car insurance, family related things, etc., but that's boring. Yes, I will be doing all that, but my list of top priorities does not include those obvious things, just like your to-do list for the day likely doesn't include "Brush My Teeth," "Take out the dog before leaving for work" or "Visit the bathroom if the need arrives rather than investing in Depends." So that being said, here are my top priorities while I have no income (in no particular order):


  • Keep my Minnesota Twins Season tickets. When I've mentioned this to people, some have said something about "keeping my priorities straight." Yep, I am. And as you can now see, this is a top priority! I decided to join the season ticket family, a dream I have had since I was a little kid wearing my Twins spring/fall weather jacket, on the same day that I punched myself to start this whole concussion adventure. It was when I tried to read the benefits of being a season ticket holder, that I noticed that all the words were fuzzy. But nonetheless, I joined up! I want to be in that new stadium, enjoying outdoor baseball (on opening day and then in May, June, July & early September...I might pass on cold April & hot August, but I hope October is part of the package!), no matter what it takes. Even if I need to walk out the door of my temporary home at Mary's Place across the street, I will be a season ticket holder next year (when I do have an income again though, I will be sending donations Mary's way, even if I never need to use her services!) Twins have proven to me the past few years how much they care about and appreciate their fans, and it is an honor to be a season ticket holder for my favorite team among all the sports teams that I love a lot!

  • Continuing the annual tradition of going to Sarasota, FL every August (hence the word "annual") to the timeshare my parents bought back in 1979. The maintenance fees cost enough to make a down payment on a cabin in Northern Minnesota, but this is about memories and having a very special place that feels like home, except the Gulf of Mexico is right in front of me when I sit on the lanai & stare out the ceiling to floor windows. My sister hasn't been able to go there as much lately due to her job, which is very disappointing, but I'm hoping she can get there some this year, and I'm hoping when she gives me nieces & nephews down the road, that I can take them down to the beach if she has to stay home and work (with the full-time babysitter that she'll obviously be sending along with them, as I would just be there for the fun parts!) There is no other place that has been in my life for that long. My childhood house was sold when I was a senior in high school, grandparents moved from their house where we spent so many holidays, and even my high school/middle school is finishing up a long process of upgrading & improving to the point that I would not even recognize it if not for the "Minnehaha Academy" signs outside on the lawn. Sarasota Sands is that one constant, a place where I can completely relax as soon as I walk through the doors & throw down my bags. A place where I know the options of where to eat and shop, even better than I know those same things in most of the Minneapolis suburbs. The only place where I am fine with showing off my white Minnesotan legs by wearing shorts all the time.

  • Dingo bones. If you have a dog, and haven't discovered these yet, please do your dog a favor and go to http://www.dingobrand.com/ and order some treats! They are rawhide bones that have real meat (with a rawhide like texture) mixed in them. They are like crack for my dog, Cookie. My sister's dog Keesha loves them too, so whenever I got money for whatever reason, I always place an order on their website to be shipped to my house & my sister's place. Taking care of the dogs is extremely important! My only suggestion might be to invest in a gas mask. Sometimes, well, as the dog is digesting it all, it doesn't smell so good, but that's a small price to pay for their extreme happiness!!

  • DirecTV w/sports pack & Tivo service...I keep hearing that getting rid of cable or satellite will save money, and that sounds great, but its not happening. I'll go for the pity factor. I used to be an extremely avid reader. After reading an average of 10-12 hrs a day at work, I would read at least another 2-5 hours at home. Books, magazines, web sites, emails, etc. I love reading. Unfortunately, that aforementioned head trauma thing has affected that. I am up to being able to read an average of 2 hours a day, spread out at different times. On a really good day, I might hit 4 hours, but then I tend to pay for it with reduced cognitive function a few days after that. So if I can't read like I'd like to do something other than stare at the walls and slowly move toward complete insanity...TV is definitely a necessity! The Sports pack is required because Gonzaga's regular channel for their games is Fox Sports NW (Seattle), which is part of the Sports Pack. I believe I only missed one game all year on TV, only because it was shown on delay on FSNW. Every other game was on FSNW (or one I caught on FS Pittsburgh), or one of the three ESPN options. I would say Gonzaga games fall under the "need" rather than "want" category! : ) Then, without DirecTV (or crappy cable) I wouldn't get 90% of the Twins games, or any of the Gopher basketball games. Yeah, we're keeping the TV!

  • Internet/Cell Phone - Gotta get on the web...I don't see people often away from the house anymore, but I get to stay connected with friends through Facebook, text messages, etc. Plus I get to post tons of photos for people to laugh at, which serves an important purpose of enriching people's lives and improving their mental health & inner balance! Oh, and how could I write this blog without my DSL or unlimited data plan on the cell phone?? Case closed.
I'm not sure what would go first if I got to a place where I had to start eliminating them, but there is no question that the #1 priority would always be to take care of the little 4-legged princesses in my life, so Dingo Bones top the list! Now I need to start googling to find that gas mask...


No comments:

Post a Comment